Diabetes is more prevalent than ever and 95% of cases diagnosed are type 2 diabetes.
Although for some the development of diabetes is an an autoimmune disease, the vast majority of diabetics acquire it through unhealthy behaviors. For the vast majority it can be prevented by taking these 7 simple steps…
Before diabetes type 2 becomes fully developed a person goes through a stage known as pre-diabetes. This is where you start to show some of the symptoms, which if ignored, can lead to full blown diabetes.
Take these 7 action points part of your daily routine and you could stop this disease happening to you:
1) If you are overweight you risk developing diabetes. Reduce the amount of food on your plate so you gradually eat less and start to lose weight. Drink a glass of plain water and hour before your meal. Eat high fiber foods and chew slowly.
2) Reduce the amount of fat you are eating; grill or bake foods instead of frying; use low-fat spreads and reduced fat meals.
3) Check the Glycemic Index of the food you are eating – knowing what each food contains helps maintain your blood-sugars, which in turn can prevent the full onset of diabetes.
4) Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. If you keep a bottle of water with you and sip frequently you’ll be surprised how much you do drink throughout the day.
5) If you are feeling peckish and hangry choose a healthy snack rather than a chocolate bar.
6) Use nut milks rather than full-fat milk in hot drinks.
7) Exercise is good for health. But if you are not used to exercise then start in moderation. 15 minutes gentle walking each day will ease you into a regular exercising pattern.
All of these action points are also the ones that diabetics are advised to take – if you start following them now you could prevent irreparable damage to your health.